Democratic leaders in the House and Senate this week will be keeping all options on the table while trying to complete legislation prior to the July 4 summer recess. Extended unemployment benefits are still awaiting approval, and a tax measure torpedoed by Senate Republicans last week will once again be on the agenda. In addition, confirmation hearings may proceed for five nominees to the Federal Election Commission, while the House may try to make another push for a new energy package.
The senate should take up an unemployment insurance benefit extension approved by the House last week. The Senate has already approved one such extension, as part of the Iraq War supplemental spending bill. President Bush has threatened to veto the war money if it contains domestic spending. However, the benefits might not survive in the Senate if they’re not attached to the war supplemental.
Sen. Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) will seek cloture on a tax package again this week, following a successful filibuster by Senate Republicans last week. The package includes a temporary fix for the alternative minimum tax (preventing its application to millions of Americans), renewable energy subsidies and other tax initiatives.
Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has asked other Democratic members of the House to put together a package of energy legislation. She requested proposals that were left out of last year’s energy package or have already passed out of committee this year.
Senate Rules Chairwoman Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) will likely report Matthew Peterson’s nomination directly to the floor for a vote. Peterson is one of five President Bush nominees to the Federal Election Commission, which has spent months without a quorum and therefore unable to oversee federal election activities.
June 17, 2008
- Senate Committee on Armed Services Hearings to examine the origins of aggressive interrogation techniques, focusing on Part I of the Committee's inquiry into the treatment of detainees in U.S. custody. SD-106 . 9:30 am
- Committee on Energy and Natural Resources Hearings to examine the challenges and regional solutions to developing transmission for renewable electricity resources. SD-366 10:00 am
- Senate Finance Committee Hearings to examine the future of the United States economy, focusing on long run deficits and debt. SD-215 10:00 am
- Senate Judiciary Committee Hearings to examine protecting consumers by protecting intellectual property. SD-226 10:00 am
- Senate Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry:: Subcommittee on Financial Services and General Government Joint hearings to examine the role, responsibilities, and resource needs of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission on oversight of futures and derivatives markets in energy and agriculture. SD-192 10:30 am
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations: Subcommittee on International Development and Foreign Assistance, Economic Affairs and International Environmental Protection Hearings to examine international disaster assistance, focusing on policy options. SD-419 2:30 pm
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources: Subcommittee on National Parks Hearings on S.1774, S. 2225. S. 2359, S. 2943, S. 3017, S. 3010, S. 3045, HR 1143, and S. 3096. SD-366 2:30 pm
- Senate Judiciary Committee Hearings to examine ways to respond to the growing need for federal judgeships, focusing on "The Federal Judgeship Act of 2008. SD-226 2:30pm
- Commission on Security and Cooperation in Europe Hearings to examine combating sexual exploitation of children, focusing on strengthening international law enforcement cooperation. RHOB-B318 3:00 pm
June 18, 2008
- Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation Hearings to examine privacy implications of online advertising. SR-253 10:00 am
- Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Hearings to examine protecting personal information, focusing on steps the federal government has in place. SD-342 10:00 am
- Senate Committee on Rules and Administration Hearings to examine improving energy efficiency, focusing on increasing the use of renewable sources of energy, and reducing the carbon footprint of the Capitol complex. SR-301 10:00 am
- Senate Committee on Aging: Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights Judiciary: Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights Joint hearings to examine S.2838, to amend chapter 1 of title 9 of United States Code with respect to arbitration. SD-226 10:30 am
- Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources Hearings to examine the preparedness of federal land management agencies for the 2008 wildfire season. SD-366 2:00 pm
- Committee on Natural Resources, Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests, and Public Lands and the Subcommittee on Water and Power joint oversight hearing on Paying to Play: Implementation of Fee Authority on Federal Lands -- Jun 18, 2008 at 10 a.m.
- Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, Subcommittee on Economic Development, Public Buildings and Emergency Management hearing on The Federal Protective Service: An Agency in Need of Rebuilding -- Jun 18, 2008 at 1 p.m.
- Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, Subcommittee on National Security, and Foreign Affairs hearing on Oversight of the U.S. Efforts to Train and Equip Police and Enhance the Justice Sector in Afghanistan -- Jun 18, 2008 at 2 p.m.
June 19, 2008
- Senate Committee on Indian Affairs Business meeting to consider pending calendar legislation; to be immediately followed by a hearing to examine an original bill to address law and order in Indian country. SD-562 9:30 am
- Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation: Subcommittee on Surface Transportation and Merchant Marine Infrastructure, Safety and Security Hearings to examine cruise ship safety, focusing on potential steps for keeping Americans safe at sea. SR-253 10:00 am
- Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions: Subcommittee on Employment and Workplace Safety Hearings to examine the efficacy of the Mine Improvement and New Emergency Response Act (MINER)(Public Law 109-236), focusing on a two year review. SD-430 10:00 am
- Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs: Subcommittee on Oversight of Government Management, the Federal Workforce, and the District of Columbia Hearings to examine management challenges facing the Federal Protective Service, focusing on a recent report from the Government Accountability Office. SD-342 2:00pm
- Senate Committee on Foreign Relations Hearings to examine pending nominations. SD-419 2:15 pm
- Senate Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs: Subcommittee on Securities, Insurance and Investment Hearings to examine risk management, focusing on its implications for systemic risk. SD-538 2:30 pm
- Senate Committee on Intelligence Closed hearings to examine certain intelligence matters. SH-219 2:30 pm
- Committee on Foreign Affairs, Subcommittee on International Organizations, Human Rights, and Oversight and the Subcommittee on Higher Education, Lifelong Learning, and Competitiveness of the Committee on Education and Labor joint hearing on Restoring America's Leadership through Scholarships for Undergraduates from Developing Countries: The Uniting Students in America (USA) Proposal -- Jun 19, 2008 at 9:30 a.m.
- Committee on Oversight and Government Reform hearing on Examining Grantmaking Practices at the Department of Justice -- Jun 19, 2008 at 9:30 a.m.
- Committee on the Judiciary, Subcommittee on Courts, the Internet and Intellectual Property and the Subcommittee on Commercial and Administrative Law joint hearing on H.R. 4854, False Claims Act Correction Act -- Jun 19, 2008 at 10 a.m.
- Committee on Foreign Affairs, Subcommittee on Terrorism, Nonproliferation and Trade hearing on Genetics and other Human Modification Technologies: Sensible International Regulation of New Kind of Arms Race -- Jun 19, 2008 at 10 a.m.
- Committee on Natural Resources oversight hearing on Utah Navajo Trust Fund -- Jun 19, 2008 at 10 a.m.
- Committee on Science and Technology, Subcommittee on Energy and Environment hearing on an Insecure Forecast for Continuity of Climate and Weather Data: The NPOESS Weather Satellite Program -- Jun 19, 2008 at 10 a.m.
- Committee, Subcommittee on Investigation and Oversight to meet to consider authorization of a subpoena for documents related to the Department of Energy's FutureGen project -- Jun 19, 2008 at 2 p.m.
- Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, Subcommittee on Coast Guard, and Maritime Transportation hearing on Federal Maritime Commission Management and Regulation of International Shipping -- Jun 19, 2008 at 2 p.m.
- Committee on Education and Labor hearing on Hidden Tragedy: Underreporting of Workplace Injuries and Illnesses -- Jun 19, 2008 at 10:30 p.m.